Caption: Limits contributions, expenditures, requires disclosure in Multnomah County candidate elections.
Question: Should charter require certain funding disclosures, limit contributions,
expenditures by individuals and certain entities to support/oppose candidates
for county offices?
Summary: Creates charter provision, to be implemented by county ordinance operative September 2017, that:
1. Limits Contributions and Expenditures to support or oppose Candidates for
public office in Multnomah County elections:
Multnomah County Candidate Election prominently disclose the five largest
true original sources of funding (in excess of $500) for the Communication.
3. Provides civil fine for violations. Includes definitions.
This measure creates a new Charter provision placing limitations on:
The measure also requires that each Communication to voters related to a Multnomah County Candidate Election prominently disclose the five largest true original sources of funding (in excess of $500) for the Communication.
The measure is to be implemented by county ordinance operative not later than September 1, 2017.
1. Limits Contributions and Expenditures to support or oppose Candidates for public office in Multnomah County elections:
2. Requires that each Communication (defined) to voters related to a Multnomah County Candidate Election prominently disclose the five largest true original sources of Contributions and/or Independent Expenditures in excess of $500 each that funded the Communication.
3. Violations are subject to a civil fine of not less than two and not more than twenty times the amount of the unlawful Contribution, Expenditure or Independent Expenditure.
4. Allows Individuals to make Contributions by payroll deduction, if the employer agrees or institutes payroll deductions for any other purpose.
5. Includes adjustments for inflation on January 1 of each odd-numbered year.
6. Includes a severability clause to preserve the operation of all constitutionally valid elements of measure, should any portion be judicially determined to be
"Contribution" and "Expenditure" are defined in state law, with some exceptions added in this measure. State law defines "Political Committee", "Candidate", and "Candidate Committee". Other terms defined in the measure include: "Communication", "Election Cycle", "Entity", "Individual", "Membership Organization", "Small Donor Committee".
"Election Cycle" is defined generally is the period between elections for the same office, disregarding intervening primary, nominating, recall, or vacancy elections; a different period is used for recall and special elections for vacancies.
Join the list of endorsers
Volunteer with the campaign
Join the Email update list